Who here needs organization, less clutter and a touch of updating? I’ll be the first to raise my hand because I know I do, or at least I did. This past weekend, hubby and I decided that enough was enough. It was time to get organized and stylish! This can be difficult to imagine without splurging at your local Ikea and doing the ‘out with the old and in with the new’ number. However, without a budget (really), going all new everything was just not in the stars for us this time. We got rid of some of our old, ugly, placeholder furniture (stuff we got for free that we promised to get rid of after buying a new replacement) and chose to give unusual selections of furniture that we already owned, a new task. We have a huge wood and granite table that usually sits behind our couch, responsible for holding up all of our junk from the day. It has amazing wood work and some of those really cool lion looking feet legs. We placed our TV on that and our tall speakers on each side. It seemed strange at first, but now it looks pretty cool and defiantly different. That was just one simple example of what we did for one part of the house. Keep reading below to get some more tips and tricks for your home!
- When redoing rooms, try your best to actually separate the spaces.This is a big one for those in open floor plans or studios. Use a long couch, bookcase or standing shade to make a physical barrier from one room to the next.
- Don’t be afraid to mix styles! My man dies for metal work and I am more of a wood and fur (faux, of course)kind of gal. Upon completing this type of look, we really loved how it was industrial but also warm and welcoming. Instead of sticking to just one idea, mix them up and come up with your own unique combination. Think of it like food, having variety in different textures keeps things interesting and pleasing to the palate.
- Make discount stores, yard sales and sites like Craigslist your new best friend! It may take some extra time to find what you are looking for, but paying a fraction of the cost will be worth the patience. Remember that you can always sand and repaint a piece, and you won’t feel nearly as bad doing so to an older bookcase over a brand new one.
- Get rid of clutter by going through all of your junk!And yes, even that drawer you haven’t looked into for months. Trust me when I tell you that doing this will seriously not only clear your home, but your head as well. For those items you cannot (or willnot) let go of, store them in basket, high up in closets and out of sight.
- Lastly, create a wish board. People do this for their futures, a new trip or weight loss so who says you can’t do it for decor purposes?! Keep tabs on what you see and love. Take the list with you when you go searching for what you need. It will keep you focused and pleased with your find!
This link will take you to a blog that will show you how to master patterns in the home.
This link shows you how to customize a boring dresser into something more beautiful.
And there you have it, my list of how to get rolling home improvements! Have any other ideas you want to share? Let me know down below in the comments.